On 20 July 1951, Mr. Vikrom Ninnad, Vice-Consul in charge of the Consulate in Vientiane, together with Mr. Sanguan Rujidesa, departed to Vientiane by train and assumed their duties.
The Consulate employed only two local staffs as clerk and gardener.
During the early years of operation, the consulate was situated in a private house. Although the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand would like to purchase a plot of land and build a chancery but an appropriate plot could not be found. In 1953 and 1955, The Royal Thai Consulate was elevated to Royal Thai Legation and Royal Thai Embassy respectively. Brigadier General Samai Vaewprasert was designated the first Thai Ambassador.